Sunday, January 13, 2013

Caballeros UnPlugged

When I actually got my day started, I discovered that I had a garden tub full of laundry that needed to be washed.  So, I took out a few hand fulls, and designated them my test subjects.  I was going to do our laundry by hand, and would be starting with that average sized load.  Well, I started out with a bucket of soapy water, and a tub with enough cold water to cover the top of my feet.  I discovered that I'll use more water that way, than with the washing machine.  The bucket of soapy water gets cold before I can wash an entire load, and the wrince water must be replaced much too frequently.

Were I doing a small load, for example the amount of clothes my family wears in a day, it would make sense to do our laundry by hand.  However, as I do not have all the "new fangled devices" for hand washing, it is a waste of water.  Once I get things caught up where my laundry is conscerned (by Tuesday night), I will wash by hand.

Using the washing machine doesn't mean I'm totally giving up and going back.  I've washed two loads, and am allowing them to hang out on a line in the back yard.  Tomorrow, I'll take them in, and put out two more loads.  From then on, I'll be hand washing, and line drying everything.

In a real emergency situation, say if we suddenly had a power outtage, I'd be unable to use either the washer or the dryer.  Which is why it is important that I keep everything washed and caught up.  One never does know when a disaster may hit.

Today, I also started using what we have in the refrigerator and the freezer.  Things that have just been sitting there, waiting to be put to use for months, are now being used.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to soak and defrost some deer meat that my brother gave me, once I'm finished with this post.  By morning, it should be ready for the crock pot.  I'll put in beans (going to soak them tonight, as well), and a small can of vegies.  We'll use the rice cooker, tomorrow evening.  That should make an excellent meal for tomorrow night.

Tomorrow morning, I'll rise at 5 AM to start my day.  I'll get another load of laundry washed, and spin it out a second time.  I'll make biscuits in the toaster oven, and we'll have apples and cereal for breakfast.  I'll clean up those dishes, and will take my wet clothes out to the line.  I'll bring in the folded dry clothes (may as well fold them as I take them off the line), and put them away.  By 9 AM, we will all be dressed and loaded up (in the stroller) with diapers, bottled water, and a sack lunch+snack for each of us.  We will be walking the three miles to the library, so that we can home school.  The reason we are leaving so late in the morning, is that the library does not open until ten.

At noon, I'll take the kids out to the grass, and we'll spread out their McQueen sleeping bag as a picnic blanket.  We'll have lunch, and read the books we've checked out.  Then, at 2:45, we will be off to the grocery store for a few items that we need (vinegar, soap, etc.)...  It is the same distance from the store to home, as it is to go from home to the library.  We're just going a few blocks south from the Library.  Once we have what we need, or by 4 PM at the latest, we'll head home, where I'll put away groceries, serve our evening meal, give the kids baths, and put them to bed.  Tonight, they are tired a little early because they missed naps.  I bet they will be exhausted by this time tomorrow, after all the activity.

I think I'll turn in a bit early, tonight, so as to start tomorrow off on the right foot.

About thee youtube video:  I already posted one for you guys.  Now, it's your turn to leave a link to one, for me, in the comments.

Goodnight!
V.

No comments:

Post a Comment