Monday, January 21, 2013

Caballeros UnPlugged: It's been a week

After a week of living an unplugged lifestyle (for the most part), I am beginning to get used to it.  Life isn't so far removed from what it was before.

The one main difference is that I don't sit in front of a television, and neither do the children.  Let me tell you! Today, I am feeling it!  I've got Tinkerbell, again, since it is a school holiday.  With three kids in the house, I am reeeeally wishing I had a remote controlled baby sitter, if only for a few minutes.  I did allow an episode of Diego, and an episode of SuperWhy (I had to cook, and they were either fighting, or under food while I was dealing with hot grease).  I know, I know.  Bad Mommy!  I explained it away with the fact that it is educational content.

We are all having serious withdrawals from television, and the kids are missing the video games.  Jr. carries around his controller and pretends to play, while he and BabyJ talk about Mario and Luigi.  I am seriously missing Sony and Connie, and wondering what happened to Johnny.  Do any of you know if Johnny is alive?  Did Connie kill him?...  *sigh*  If none of you can tell me I guess it's hopeless.

I have watched a movie or two, via Netflix, after the kids have gone to bed.  I am also using the net to write for pennies (eventually, it will add up and I'll have a nice chunk of change), and research next year's home school plan.

I am ashamed to say that I've not done any more laundry since my last post.  Which means I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I finally tried that 3 mile hike to the library.  With two kids and a shopping cart.  Jr. had his bike.  The problem:  rain.  We got about two miles and had to stop at Wal-Mart.  I attempted the rest of the trek, but had to stop less than half a mile away because the rain started up again.  We took a taxi home, after waiting until after dark for the rain to stop, and seeing no change.

The next time I try to take that trip, I will not be taking a buggy (shopping cart, for all you yankees).  Instead I'll take the stroller or just have each boy hold my hand.  Oh, and rain won't even be a remote possibility!  By the time I got up the next morning, my everything hurt.  Some might say I'm getting old.  I think I'm just out of practice.  Soon, I'll attempt to take a shorter walk with the children, and work my way up to three miles.  Here's a question:  why are our cities and towns so spread out, these days?  I'm sure there was a time when all the businesses were right next to one another.  In the westerns, everything a body needs is in one area.  However, home is much farther from it all.  I guess it balances out.

We do have a grocery store closer to home, but it isn't my favorite chain.  I may just have to learn to shop at the one near here.

I am hoping MacGyverAsawa does not have to work this weekend.  I'd like to visit Smiley's Flea Market.  Hoping to get my hands on some seasonal, home grown produce, and a pen for my dear BrutusDawg.

According to animal control, he is not allowed to be on a runner, even if he has more than 75 ft. of space/slack to do as he pleases.  Currently, I am putting him on the runner for short periods of time, or walking him down the block and back.

I am committing myself to walking him at least once each day.  I will work up to more.  And, I'll even take the kids if it isn't too cold!

For the rest of today, I'll be catching up on the laundry (here we go again.  If I'd just kept it up...), cleaning a few things that I've procrastinated against, and working on more of next school year's home school plan.  I'm also going to research ways to "do-it-myself" for things around the house.

Check back tomorrow, for my findings and my next challenge (for myself).

V.

Here is a taste of some of the do-it-yourself stuff I'm talking about.  Enjoy!

Later this week, I'll let you know how my plarn making experience goes.  ;)  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment