Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Money Saving Cleanser Recipies

This week, I am bringing you ways to save money on cleaning products.

Let's just dive on in with toilet bowl cleaners.  Why does everyone think they have to foam, and smell worse than the stuff they clean up after?  I use regular dish soap mixed with a little baking soda and a little vinegar.  In a pinch, shampoo works.  A little squirt, a swirl with the brush, a flush, and my bowl is shining and white.

This brings me to the other surfaces in the bathroom:  SAME SOLUTION works in the entire room...  for the floor, use the white vinegar diluted with water.

I have yet to find a dish washer soap that doesn't use borax, or a list of items as long as my arm.  However, instead of jet dry, I put a half a tumbler (those small glass) of vinegar in the top rack.  I also don't use thhe heated dry.  (I do use the heated wash.)

For laundry, I make my own soap.  My recipe is good, so I've been told, for HE washers because it doesn't make suds.  At first, my whites were dingy.  After a little playing around with the amount of borax in my soap, I now have whiter whites than the free and clear brand I was buying for four times the price each month.  Here's my magic mix:  1 part borax, 1 part ar and hammer washing soda, 1/2 part baking soda, 2 laundry bars (no dyes, no perfumes), 1&1/2 scoops of oxiclean (we bought the small container for around $3).  You put it all in a blender and mix it like crazy (you'll have to chop the laundry bars, first).

I also make my own shampoo.  2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 LIBERAL squirts from my small bottle of Dr. Bronners, and warm water all poured into a squirt bottle (add the doctor after the water) and shake.  Don't use on hair you have colored.  I have never had trouble with my bleached hair.    Need a conditioner?  Be sure to use sparinggly, and on top of shampoo, and apple cider vinegar mixed with EVOO works well.  You may need a bit more shampoo to get the oil out, if you have thick hair like me.

Toothpaste:  cocanut oil is a great disinfectant, but it is an oil...  some people use this as a natural tooth paste, mixed with a little baking soda.  I have read rave reviews.

I do use olive oil, cocanut oil, and maalox as a diaper rash cream.  Only problem I have had with it:  you must remember to shake it very well.

Well, there it is, folks...  how I save money on cleaners (and a few personal care items).  Maybe, you'll be able to squirl away a bit to help with your preps.

Next week:  You Never Miss a Real Good Thing...  be sure and stock up on these things (other than the obvious food items).

No comments:

Post a Comment